How many times it happened that you had a call back from the team member whom you sent a mail for details?Or you call up your boss to clarify what exactly she is asking for.
Well ,I must say that for a team working in remote locations it is always difficult to understand the priorities.
What a PM can do to illuminate the team members?
- Make your priorities straight. Sending each time high priority alerts can confuse the team and lower the possible success of activities.
- Irrespective of circumstances elaborate “Why” you want this. The team knows “What” to do and “How” to do it…What you have to do is to make them understand “Why” they are doing this.
Pls don’t forget to share your experiences.
Pls remember the following Laws while preparation:
1. The 80/20 principle: This is one of the best ways to make better
use of your time.
– basically says that 80 percent of the value you will receive will
come from 20 percent of your activities. So, don’t try to read each
and every book. PMBOK is must.
2. Parkinson’s Law: You can do things quicker than you think..
So, don’t take too much time for preparation…3 to 4 months is ok..
3. Targeting the next lamp post : Make rolling wave planning … Take
short term targets in preparation..
4. Way of Life: This is the most important. PMP is not just a
certification. Its’ a way of life. So use the tools, templates and
principles as much as you can in your job. This will help you to
understand the things in depth.